Re: runtime accel changes

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:
On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 16:27 -0400, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> hi,
>
> I recently wrote a patch[1] to re-enable accel labels in GtkMenu
> generated from GMenuModel.  They got lost in the shuffle during some
> related recent changes.
>
> Essentially, the new approach means that the accel='' attribute of each
> menuitem directly determines what the accel label will be (instead of
> doing the lookup in the accelgroup).
>
> The most noteworthy impact of the patch (and the topic of this email) is
> the strong implication that we will no longer support runtime changing
> of accel keys.

I object. Do you really want to disable shortcut editors in
complex applications such as GIMP? That would seriously hurt GTK+
as a general purpose toolkit. I can't imagine why you would do
such a change.

I echo Mitch's objections. Ardour users find it very convenient to do runtime changes to key bindings. Requiring program restarts and all that, let alone the idea that bindings have to set at menuitem creation, all seems pretty piss poor to me.