Re: GTK+3 win32/64 build environment

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Dieter Verfaillie <dieterv optionexplicit be> wrote:
I you mean the paths stated inside .pc files, then pkg-config on
windows should be able to automatically deduce the correct value for
${prefix} based on the location where said package is installed [1]
and ignore whatever is stated as ${prefix} inside the .pc file.
No adjustments should be needed.

This was made so by tml way back, when he used to "./configure"
and "make install" each package into a separate prefix, stringing
things together (both for build and runtime usage) as needed
using PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH, ACLOCAL_FLAGS and other env vars.
Quite elegant, one can test (build and/or use) different versions
of packages fast, without having to go and build a complete
"bundled" distribution for each test (unless there's ABI breaks off course).

Interesting, I didn't know (and I wouldn't try, I am cross-compiling guy :) However, this isn't going to be enough, there are many variables in .pc which may contain path. Also projects not using pkg-config have the same problems. Doing a grep under fedora-mingw sys-root reveals that there are many binaries that refer to hardcoded path too. In general, it's not going to work if I try to reuse those cross-builds for doing native build. Fortunately, by now, most of the runtime is working natively, but there are still corner-cases (this is still one of the first thing you need to fix when porting a lib/app)

--
Marc-André Lureau