Re: GTK+3 win32/64 build environment

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM, <tarnyko tarnyko net> wrote:
Cross-compilation
-----------------
+ better integration with GNOME infrastructure
+ faster
- needs patches in most configure scripts

Most? Aren't those patches needed for native windows compilation in all cases?

- needs to use standalone versions of Perl/Python OR patch Makefiles to be compatible with most common versions of Perl/Python (possible ? needs study)

I don't follow

- needs to build stack twice (Linux native versions of some tools needed). So the speed gain might be countered (needs study)

Sure, you can build your distro from scratch manually too, but it was mentionned several time in the thread that fedora, debian and opensuse (at least) have decent mingw64 support. And there are other pretty nice solutions like MXE or cerbero to solve the cross-compilation problems.

- might not be independant from OS/distro (need to choose a particular distro/package manager and stick to it ?)

I don't think that's what we want. Distro are already doing a pretty good job, really. I think what is missing is a "native" GNOME SDK environment for Windows. Eventually combined with an official nuget/chocolatey feed, that can help a lot to automate installation, updates...

--
Marc-André Lureau