Making GtkEntry::scroll-offset read/write?

I'm trying to port libview (http://view.sourceforge.net/) to Gtk+ 3.x, and something that I've run into is that the way that view::FieldEntry sets tabstops into the parent entry's PangoLayout causes the cursor position logic inside GtkEntry to break quite a bit. The way it's solved today is to have a notification callback on the scroll-offset field and always set it back to zero. This was always kind of hinky because the property is theoretically read-only, but it can't be done at all now that the property is sealed.

Admittedly, FieldEntry's implementation is pretty ugly. If there's a better way to implement this widget with all the modern improvements to GTK, I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks,
-David