Re: building gtk+ 3 on rhel6

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013, Ted Toth wrote:

I'm trying to build gtk+ 3 on RHEL6 but have run into a problem while
following the instruction on
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-building.html when building
pango. The glib build went fine but pango is a problem:

./configure --prefix=/opt/gtk
     :
checking for CoreText availability... no
checking for CAIRO... yes
checking which cairo font backends could be used... none
configure: Disabling cairo support
configure: error: *** Could not enable any backends.
*** Must have at least one backend to build Pango.

cairo and cairo-devel are installed and as best I can tell the font
backends are included. Anyone done this yet? If so what did you have
to do to get by this issue.

What pango version are you trying to build?

One oddity with pango is that the current (apparently "stable") release sometimes depends on "release candidate" versions of third party software. Right now, to build current pango you need an rc version of fontconfig. To avoid that, drop back to the previous pango release. (Pango's configure script is pretty tight-lipped about dependency problems, which is not very helpful.)

Allin Cottrell