Re: Test Modules

On 6 Mar 2013, at 12:14, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

Is this question stemming from the fact that you got glib to
compile using MSVC, where I suppose you are hacking the source
tree severely and not using the autotools/makefiles at all ?

I wouldn't say I've hacked anything too severely Tristan.  Glib already contains projects for building with
Visual Studio.  I've just extended them a bit - so that I can build everything (including the various
auto-generated files etc) from a Visual Studio project.  Of course, I need to have Perl and Python installed
too but autoconf can be skipped (there are already some "config.*.msc" type files available in the distro).

I do recall there was a time that compiling glib with MSVC
was needed in order to create more compatible binaries, is
this still the case ?

Undoubtedly, yes.  If you build the binaries with MinGW, then later change something and rebuild, MinGW does
not seem to guarantee that the second build will use the same ordinal values as your first build (in each
DLL).  It's a great recipe for DLL Hell.

is there any reason to not use a
more standard/friendly toolchain like MSYS/mingw where
the same configure.ac/Makefiles can be used without modification ?

In my case there are 2 reasons:-  1)  I need to be able to debug all my code using Visual Studio's debugger.
2) MinGW uses the CRT from VC6.0 which is nearly 20 years old now and it's only a matter of time before
Microsoft makes it obsolete.

Thanks.

John