Re: Removal of icons in buttons/menus

On 10/09/13 21:27, Matthias Clasen wrote:
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Erick Pérez Castellanos
<erickpc gnome org>wrote:

People keep raising this issue (both on list and on IRC) and I think
there's a good reason for it.

And people will keep doing it, until they get proper answers.

As an application developer why I found troubling about this particular
removal is:

The setting does not do anything for you as an application developer. It
was a user setting that lets users break the design of your application by
making icons pop up in all sorts of places where you did not see them
because you were not testing with that particular combination of user
settings.

Nope, not quite. It was an option that let users "break the design of
one's application" (to reuse your wording) by making icons *disappear*
in all sorts of places. Images were *shown* by default, and those
settings allowed users to turn them off, not the other way around.

IOW, what GTK 3.10 did was made sure to "break the design of every GTK
application" and did so while removing the ability to fix it from users.
As for application developers, they had no warning to prepare, and can't
just fix things simply since (a) there's one way to get icons back, but
it involves calling a function on every single widget concerned, and (b)
that is only a temporary fix anyways, to "unbreak" things, since - for
menus at least - said function, like the whole widget, is deprecated.

(Which means, unless I missed something, there is no non-deprecated way
in GTK to have images in menus (except packing a GtkImage ourself in a
GtkMenuItem or similar). Whereas in GIO however, there's still
g_menu_item_set_icon().)

-j

First: the fact that no-one has explained the reasons behind it. Certainly
we can guess the thing has to do with Wayland port but yet there's no
comment in those commits explaining the reasons behind it.

I just did.

Second: The workaround being settings the option in every widget of an
application is not a friendly towards app developers.
Right now, in a moment where new widgets come into Gtk+, the *Getting
Started* section appeared in the docs and there's this new attention to the
developer story with Gtk+ (and others), that doesn't seem very friendly at
all.

Again, the GtkSettings that we are discussing here do nothing for
application developers. On the contrary, by removing the settings, we have
given you as application developer _more_ control over how your application
appears to your users.