Re: A Gtk's build system ?

If this ever happens, I hope for waf to get some traction

+1 for waf, I currently use it in my projects, it's features are very
good/cool and it extensibility is very simple, basically as you have
told.

in short: implementing a (modern) build environment that does what
people use build environments for is a *massive* undertaking

I agree that write a new build system is somewhat wasteful work, if is
this that you mean, I'd not fully understood your comment. (-1 for my
english, rsrs)

It generates the script that the users need (configure, …), etc. For compiling a software from a tarball,
the Autotools are not required!
(from Sébastien comment in his blog)
Currently waf does basically same thing, you haven't to have waf
installed to build, the 'waf' python script will require only python
installed, as 'configure' requires bash/sh. PS: I know that your blog
post is talking about CMake -> Autotools migration.

Actually, I'm not a fan of CMake, it is most likely a Windows-friendly
version of autotools. PS: I know it's very or completely different
from autoconf/automake.
I've used CMake for some time in my projects, it's somewhat like
autotools but with less features. So if Gtk one day (very ahead) plans
to move away from autotools I don't recommend CMake!