Re: A Gtk's build system ?

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Christian Hergert <christian hergert me> wrote:
 and Gtk+ is
one of the most portable pieces of software in our ecosystem.

if this true, and that is debatable, then it is mostly because Gtk+ delegates so much to other libraries. When you look at the entire stack required to build and use Gtk+ on a platform, it is quite a huge undertaking. Building this stack for a non-*nix platform is intimidating and difficult and autotools is off little or no help with the issues.

Making sure that waf runs properly on all of the target systems is going
to take some upfront work. Just because it uses Python doesn't mean it's
portable. Plenty of Python API's return different values based on the
host operating system.

-- Christian