[glib] Why is g_ptr_array_set_size take a gint instead of guint for the length parameter?

Hi,

I'm looking for the rational of using 'gint' instead of 'guint' in the call:

g_ptr_array_set_size (GPtrArray *array, gint length);

other similar call use guint:

g_array_set_size       (GArray *farray, guint length);

and the member 'len' in GPtrArray/GArray is guint in both case!

I assume that this has been debated to death .. but I can't find where!

thxs,

Sylvain.