Re: a new combo box

This is the third (fourth) incarnation of a combo box and there is
still opposition to keeping the API stable?  That's just crazy.
Matthias' awesomeness aside, why would this be the last time?

Seriously, a change in a widget like this means 20+ hours[*] of
extra work for me as an application writer.  I have a lot of GUI
to deal with, but say 10 hours is the average and look at 100
applications.  1000 hours of work that doesn't advance the
functionality of the applications.

If it took Matthias an extra 500 hours -- something like three
months of his time -- it would still be better to use the old api.
Or at least some variant for which the changes would be
doable by search-and-replace.

Morten

[*] That's probably a low estimate.  It not just finding all uses of the
old and replacing with the new.  It's debugging the application
_and_ the new widget; filing bugs against the widget; writing
work-arounds for the 2 years before fixes are made and distributed;
it's tracking the API changes that are a consequence because a
non-gtk library function that is based on the widget will now have
new signals being fired -- no help from the compiler there.

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Matthias Clasen