Re: some mistake in the GtkCellRenderer design

On Sun, 2014-02-09 at 18:16 +0000, narcisse doudieu siewe wrote:

Hello every body,

I'm not a god designer but I have noticed some mistake with the
GtkCellRenderer design.

To illustrate myself, I take an example.

Actually, I want to implement a custom GtkCellEditable which inherits
from
GtkCalendar and GtkCellEdiatble and create a custom GtkCellRenderer to
use it
and renderer it entirelly in a cell when a click appears. from now my
attation is on the
custom GtkCellRenderer that I want to build.
to do that, I have to rewrite its "render" virtual function

if a click appears in a particular cell, I have to place my custom
GtkCellEditable which renderer a
GtkCalendar.

there are two possible choice to do that

first choice)
The width of the corresponding column must have at least the natural
width of this custom widget (if this widget is larger than the
previous width of the column) if not if there is an "expand" property
my widget have to expand itself according to this property. the
corresponding row must have at least the natural height of my custom
GtkCellEditable too if not, if there is an "expand" property my widget
have to expand itself according to this property. for the rest of
cells not in the concerned column and in the concerned row thier size
cannot change. All the cells in the concerned column have the same
width and all the cell in the same row have a same height.

second choice)
we can use the clipping functions of cairo and enlarge the row and
column in the treeview when the user drag a particular row\column

3) it is possible to mix the two preceding choice.

There is a fourth choice:

  o Simply derive GtkCellRendererPixbuf so that it can emit an
    "activate" signal.

  o When the "calendar icon" is clicked for a given row in your
    treeview - then fire up your date editing dialog to edit the
    underlying date for the given row

Cheers,
    -Tristan

I alse think that, the renderer function of GtkCellRenderer must have
a "path" argument :)