GtkWidget:halign and GtkSizeGroup

I'm trying to replace a use of the deprecated GtkMisc:xalign property
with the newer GtkWidget:halign property with some labels that are in a
GtkSizeGroup. The (GTK_ALIGN_START) alignment doesn't seem to be having
any effect, though it does when work using the deprecated xalign
property.

This screenshot shows the result in Glade with some GtkBoxes and a
GtkSizeGroup, and the correct behaviour in a GtkGrid. Should it work
with a GtkSizeGroup?

I can't just use a GtkGrid because I am actually using a custom
container in my application.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com