design notes on the ardour canvas, fyi

I recently wrote a document that describe some of the motivations and implementation details of the new "canvas" object that Ardour's next release will use. For those not aware, Ardour has used GnomeCanvas for many years to draw its main editing/arrange area.

   http://ardour.org/canvas.html

This isn't directly related to GTK, since the canvas uses GTK only as an outer layer (the internals are all Cairo/custom). However, I thought that possibly a few people here might enjoy reading it, just to see the direction we went it, some of the issues we faced and our current approaches to solving them.

For those interested in the actual implementation:

  https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/tree/cairocanvas/libs/canvas