Re: Notes on wip/gdk-gl2

On sön, 2014-10-12 at 18:47 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
Performance on my system is actually quite poor in at the moment, which
seems at least to be pathological interactions with the system
(i915, Fedora 21, Haswell.) I see 60fps with the default configuration
of gdkgears for any windowed size of the window, but when I maximize I
see the frame rate drop to 30fps, and when I make it fullscreen, I see
it drop to 10fps. 'perf top' shows kernel memory allocation as the top
functions, so it may be that the continual allocation of new render
buffers is triggering the problem.

I've done a lot of changes to how the glarea works and how the internal
gl machinery works. I'm seeing a lot better performance than this, can
you try it again and see how the current code performs?

I also see rendering locked at a sub-multiples of 60fps - despite the
fact that the rendering is additionally synchronized with the compositor
frame clock. If I export vblank_mode=0 I see the expected non-locking
behavior.

How exactly do you see this?