Re: Removing global variables

hi;

On 26 November 2014 at 14:05, Alexandre Bique <bique alexandre gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
this is all part of the many reasons why these toolkits are problematic.  Qt
has similar issues. The correct answer would depend on the host, which is
obviously not a desirable condition to have to understand.

So I don't understand. Emmanuele, seems to says that I would be
possible with GMainContext?

if you want to do:

  Thread 1: gtk_init() → GUI → gtk_main()
  Thread 2: gtk_init() → GUI → gtk_main()
  Thread N: gtk_init() → GUI → gtk_main()

then no: you cannot achieve that with GTK+, and there are no plans to
allow you to do that in the future either.

if you want to do:

  Thread 1: gtk_init() → GUI → gtk_main()
  Thread 2: long running operation → schedule UI update
  Thread N: long running operation → schedule UI update

then yes: you can do that with GTK+.

my point about GMainContext is that the main loop used by GTK+ is not
in any way "special": it's the default GMainContext, the same one that
is created implicitly when loading GLib. that does not mean that you
can operate on the GTK API from different GMainContext instances.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
http://www.bassi.io