Re: gtk_widget_set_double_buffered() is deprecated, so what can replace it?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Lance Arsenault <lance arsenault gmail com> wrote:
Hello GTK developer,

I've read the latest docs, looked at the latest (git) GTK+3 code, and searched the archives, and found not direct answer to this question:

1.  Is there a method, that is not deprecated, that can give the effect of gtk_widget_set_double_buffered() for GTK3?

No. It will continue to work on X11, but it won't work on new backends like Wayland or Mir.

There are a lot of apps that must use the underlying/native drawing APIs like libX11 and OpenGL to draw to a X11 window that is within a GTK+3.0 app.  It is very clear that drawing to, or transferring content to, a Cairo surface is far too slow for apps that render real-time animations in an X11 window.

Why would it be too slow? GDK has also recently gained support for native GL drawing: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/unstable/GtkGLArea.html which works perfectly in tandem with the double buffering drawing. Both of these options should be performant enough, and if not, we'd prefer to improve the performance of our cross-platform APIs rather than add new ways to work around it.

Many apps must use X11 and/or OpenGL, and GTK+3.0 together, so what's the new hook that will stop GTK from using Cairo surface double buffering in a GTK+ drawing area.

cheers
lance