Re: Improve word boundaries for text widgets

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 10:25:36PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
I think I want the default in GtkTextView/Pango to stay basically
Unicode. So the vfunc may be needed sooner if you want to have
vim-like behaviour in GtkSourceView.

What do you mean by basically Unicode?

I mean that it is the right default behavior to follow Unicode TR 29.

The problems in GTK+:
- the behavior is not consistent between GtkEntry and GtkTextView (and
  possibly GtkLabel too for word selection).
- the current behaviors don't work well, since it uses only
  natural-language word boundaries.

So I want to fix both points.

Fixing internal inconsistencies is a good idea, of course. Patches for
that would be most welcome.

For tayloring the text segmentation behavior for special situations,
such as code instead of natural language, a vfunc is the right
approach.

Does that make clear what I would like to see ?