Re: State of gdk-pixbuf

hi;

On 23 October 2014 11:55, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

I'm particularly interested to know what cairo, pixman and other image
manipulation libraries can do for us. Benjamin surely has comments[2] :)

When I last talked to Soeren about it (several years ago), pixman
didn't support the pixel format that gdk-pixbuf is using.

pixman supports RGBA (r8g8b8a8 and r8g8b8x8) since 2011, because it's
used on big-endian architectures as well as being a requirement for
OpenGL ES 2.0.

this means that it should be possible to feed a GdkPixbuf pixel buffer
to a pixman_image_t internally back and forth without copies, or, even
better, to replace the GdkPixbuf internal storage and pixops with
pixman_image_t and pixman operators. it should also be possible to
create a tiled buffer composed by pixman_image_t tiles for large image
data.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--