Re: GTK+ brochure for FOSDEM

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:39:17AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
Event loop programming is simultaneously completely fundamental to all
user-interactive software, and as such ought to require no introduction at
all, but as you note it is (pathetically) lacking from the education
experienced by many in the field. If you're going to draw an event loop
then I think you want to capture something a bit less abstract than what
you have.

     Events (keyboard,mouse,touch,network,serial,other data sources) =>
application response (computation, communication, request drawing changes)
=> redraw => REPEAT

That's the actual useful event loop.

Yeah, the GMainContext state diagram is a bit abstract without more
explanation. So I've replaced it by another schema, which is really
straightforward to understand now.

The "redraw" part is specific to GTK+ or a graphical application, so
it's better to not mention it in the GLib section. I explain a bit later
that it can be used to write daemons.

Thanks for your feedback,
Sébastien