Re: GTK+ brochure for FOSDEM

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 23:24:18 +0100
Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:
I said object oriented style, not GObject. You can write C code with
an OO style without using GObject.

What you actually said was:

  "Uh, it's quite the contrary IMHO. If a developer chooses the C
  language and wants to write a GTK+ application, it's advised to write
  GObject classes to have a good code architecture. Look at gedit for
  instance, it's full of GObject classes. You create a subclass of
  GtkApplication, a subclass of GtkWindow for your main window,
  subclasses of GtkGrid or GtkBox for some other components that you
  have in your application, etc. Without GObject, you can write
  structs, allocate them and pass a pointer as the self argument, but
  GObject is much more powerful. It's interesting to create signals for
  example."

As I said, the idea that most application developers will want to
derive their main window from GtkWindow rather than pack a library
provided GtkWindow class, or derive GtkApplication instead of using
GApplication signals, is way wide of the mark; and to "market" GTK+ on
the basis that GObject presents an easy way of doing so, is also (in
my view, not yours) wide of the mark.

We don't agree.  Let's leave it at that.

Chris