Re: GTK+, WM, desktops and CSD

Hi Matthias,

On 6 March 2015 at 02:12, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan gmail com> wrote:
I have little desire to discuss the pros and cons of csd and whether
something essential (consistency ?!) was lost when we started using
them, but a few points are worth replying to.

I completely agree and this really wasn't my intention in the first
place (thus the mention of CSD being a controversial topic at the
beginning of the thread). I wouldn't want this thread to be hijacked
to pursue some vendetta against CSD, GTK+ or any other particular
concept/project.

The use of Motif MWM hints for this is a anachronism IMHO, but that's
another story.

I agree somewhat. We used them because we thought that they would be
almost universally supported. That turned out to be farther from the
truth than expected.

Yeah, we discussed that in some bugzilla iirc :)

But consider the alternative: If we had started
by suggesting a new cross-desktop spec for CSD, we would still be
arguing about protocols for proxying button clicks back and forth
today...

Again, I won't disagree here, driving a cross-desktop spec to a wide
consensus can be a daunting task.

Ideally, GTK should be able to use CSD even without a compositor. The
only reason it requires a compositor is because it uses the shadows as
resize handles. Ideally, it should use a larger border width when
there is no compositor - But that would another set of patches as not
directly related to the hint proposed.

Yes, I've been thinking that myself recently: We should fall back to
having 'fat borders' instead of 'invisible borders+shadow' if the
environment can't support them. A patch to do so would be most welcome
(I'm well aware that gtkwindow.c is not the easiest place to add new
functionality like this...)

OK, I'll try to take a look at this, but I am not familiar with that
particular code in GTK+, so don't hold your breath...

Cheers,
Olivier