Re: elementary would like to participate :)

Hey Allen,

Thanks for the feedback!

I actually have an open ticket about rewriting SourceList with GtkListBox so we can add in animations and the like. I don't think there's a good reason for it to be a treeview these days.

I just checked the demo and it looks like the way it's implemented there is a pretty poor representation of what it's used for (filed a ticket on that). In elementary this widget is used as the sidebar in Files, Photos, Music, the File Chooser, the folder manager plugin in our text editor, etc. We'd love to see (for example) Geary or Midori be able to adopt this widget (the developers have expressed not wanting to add a Granite dependency).

It's very similar to the new GtkPlacesSidebar widget, but it's not so app specific as it seems that GtkPlacesSidebar is. So I think the best course of action here (if the intention was to merge) would be to create a more abstract GtkSourceList based on GtkPlacesSidebar (but without all the volume management and that) which GtkPlacesSidebar would then subclass.