Re: Gtk+4.0

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 3:51 PM John Tall <mjgtall gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 9:06 PM, <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:
> I'm expecting this will become less and less of a problem as apps move to Flatpak as a means of distribution.

As far as I know Flatpak only targets GNU/Linux, and at the moment
only targets a handful of distros. I make software for not only
GNU/Linux but also Windows, FreeBSD and macOS. I use many libraries
including GTK+. I don't know yet if or how these changes will impact
me, all I know is that the way things are right now works just fine
for me.

Let me state categorically:

Nothing in this proposal forces anyone to use Flatpak.

Though I am excited about Flatpak if that wasn't obvious by now, I myself also make software for other platforms than Linux and contribute quite a lot of my time towards keeping GTK and other libraries buildable on Mac OS X.

I really don't want to turn this thread into a discussion of the merits of Flatpak. What I did (more explanation here [1]) was try to answer a question, essentially "What if some app developer does <unwise thing>?" that I would previously, before Flatpak existed, have answered "Well, don't do that then." Instead, I can now say "I hope fewer people will do <unwise thing> because of Flatpak."

I'm worried that we're breaking things that already work for lots of
us in order to fix inconveniences that some people have. I don't want
to drastically change the way I make and distribute software just
because one of the many libraries that I use has decided to do things
differently. If things need to change then do whatever is necessary
but please, let the old stuff also continue to work.

If you track the long-term supported releases of GTK with your software, then you shouldn't need to change anything in the way you make and distribute it.

Regards,
Philip C

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2016-July/msg00009.html