Re: First deprecate APIs and then remove them in the next major version

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 03:08:46PM -0800, Christian Hergert wrote:
As for GIMP, I think the lesson I take away is that we need to recruit
people to go do the ports for important projects rather than expect them
to track us. Red Hat has shown that this strategy works in both Firefox
and LibreOffice (which are arguably the two hardest applications to port).

Unlike Firefox, LibreOffice or MonoDevelop, GIMP has practically no
corporate investment. It's done entirely by volunteers and the
combined resources barely amount to one full-time developer.

Secondly, GIMP comes with its own programming interface [1]. So, a
port from GTK+ 2 to 3 implies an API break. It is probably similar to
Ardour in this aspect.

Long story short, GIMP 3.0 will be a port to GTK+ 3 (or 4), but that
will happen once 2.10 is finished in a few weeks or months.

[1] https://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimp/