Re: gtk-devel-list Digest, Vol 157, Issue 4

On 4 May 2017 at 10:44, Daniel Boles <dboles src gmail com> wrote:

I'm using GTK+ 3 (for the forseeable future) but have stopped using widget :margin and :spacing - juuust in case they get removed at some point in the future. There's a general trickle of things like that being removed from the widget side, so better safe than sorry.

Course, I meant removed from GTK+ 4. While I'm still focussing on GTK+ 3, I'm trying to spot obvious changes that 4 will need, which I can do now in 3, to make the task of porting far less painful when it comes around - especially if things look like candidates for being removed. Plus, even if they're retained, usually the newer way is better and worth doing anyway.

If I were using GTK+ 4, the new CSS border-spacing property for Box and Grid would avoid the need for the (horrifying but surprisingly functional) way that I hack it into GTK+ 3. It would be really nice to see that being added in 3, but I'm guessing that's unlikely...