Re: Does GTK+ do automated/nightly performance regression testing?

On 05.02, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
So back to the original question: How does the GTK+ project make sure
to spot performance regressions when they are introduced?
And if there is nothing automated, would there be interest in such a
project -  Would it be useful and used by the developers doing feature
work?

Aside from what Emmanuele already said: yes, that would be very useful.
However, the performance problems in gtk4 are not that much related to
rendering (mostly...), but the much bigger problem is CSS
(in)validations. GTK4 does a lot more CSS state changes due to automatic
focus and :hover tracking with CSS pseudo classes. While the number of
CSS nodes should not have significantly increased, the fact that we e.g.
set :hover on a listbox node with many children is new in gtk4. But then
again, this is already known to be slower and what we need is a fix for
that.

Still, I think even if you can't automate it, a performance testsuite
for certain things (or just a bunch of executables in tests/, really)
would be good in any case.