Re: docbook markup in inline docs

"Matthias Clasen" <matthiasc poet de> writes:

> [...]

This has typically been the case. I have some intention (never got around
to actually doing it) of making the default --disable-gtk-doc
except when you run autogen.sh.

A new release wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't bother waiting for
a release to depend on new gtk-doc features.

The most important place for the docs to keep working is the
autobuild on developer.gnome.org and that pulls the latest gtk-doc
every time.

> > > On to new questions:
> > >
> > > 1) gtk-doc treats "Standard" GObject functions and macros be not
> > > documenting them at all. Are there any ideas to change this, eg by
> > > refering to a section in the GObject docs describing the standard
> > > definitions ? What are the standard definitions for a GObject type,
> > > and what do we do if only some of the standard definitions are there ?
> > > (this question came up when I put a patch in bugzilla which would
> > >  move all standard defines in Pango in the Standard sections, thereby
> > >  effectively making them undocumented)
> >
> > I think we always intended to include a page about standard macros
> > and functions, and probably link to it from each object.
> > Maybe we should list the standard macros/funcs somewhere
> > in the object's docs, and link to the descriptions there.
> >
> > You can see the standard defs by looking at the $MODULE-section.txt
> > file, e.g. from glib 2:
> >
> > <SUBSECTION Standard>
> > G_TYPE_PLUGIN
> > G_IS_TYPE_PLUGIN
> > G_TYPE_TYPE_PLUGIN
> > g_type_plugin_get_type

Should be noted that the get_type() is really "private" not
standard - people shouldn't be using it directly in almost
any case and a few types do have non-standard TYPE macros.

> > G_TYPE_PLUGIN_CLASS
> > G_IS_TYPE_PLUGIN_CLASS
> > G_TYPE_PLUGIN_GET_CLASS
> >
> > If a type doesn't have all the standard defs, I'd guess it is a bug.
>
> The enums in Pango often only have G_TYPE_FOO.

None of the above "standard macros" apply to an enumeration type.
My original comment to Matthias was that I thought that enumeration
type macros should be with the macro, since I suspect people
will have trouble grasping the rule: "For PangoWeight,
there will be a macro PANGO_TYPE_WEIGHT"

I would imagine having immediately after the enumeration docs, something
like:

 PANGO_TYPE_WEIGHT - the GObject type for PangoWeight

I don't think a lot of detail is necessary. If it is, we could
have a small description and then link to a longer documentation
section on type macros.

Regards,
                                        Owen