Re: Version information

Matthias Clasen wrote:

Hi all,
I'd like to see information about when an interface was added. My first
attempt was to add this information to the $MODULE-sections.txt file,
like the following example:
<TITLE>Module Interface</TITLE>
<FILE>module_interface</FILE>
gdk_pixbuf_set_option
gdk_pixbuf_get_formats            2.1.0
gdk_pixbuf_format_get_name        2.1.0
gdk_pixbuf_format_get_description 2.1.0
gdk_pixbuf_format_get_mime_types  2.1.0
gdk_pixbuf_format_get_extensions  2.1.0
gdk_pixbuf_format_is_writable     2.1.0
GdkPixbufFormat                   2.1.0
GdkPixbufFormatFlags              2.1.0
GdkPixbufModulePattern            2.1.0
GdkPixbufModuleFillVtableFunc GdkPixbufModuleFillInfoFunc 2.1.0
GdkPixbufModuleSizeFunc           2.1.0
GdkPixbufModulePreparedFunc
GdkPixbufModuleUpdatedFunc
GdkPixbufModule

With the patch attached to #93591, gtk-doc will use this information to
emit "Since: 2.1.0" for the corresponding symbols. (Without the patch
gtk-doc will happily ignore the version info, as I've just verified)
Does this look like an OK addition ? Do you think we also need to
support version information in the doc comments (like the javadoc @since
tag) ?
If we are going to have that sort of information, I wouldn't mind seeing ELF symbol versioning added to GTK. If we did this, it would be good to get the information from the same place about which version a symbol belongs to. Given this, I would probably lean towards putting the information in the doc comments.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au   http://linux.conf.au/
WWW: http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ | Jan 22-25 Perth, Western Australia.