Re: [gtk-list] Re: Drag and Drop and my patch

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Elliot Lee wrote:

> Cursor bitmaps are the way to go... We don't want to bloat Gtk with a
> thousand features, and X does built-in dragging of this way very easily
> and without overhead. Having to redraw a pixmap on the screen every time
> the mouse moves doesn't sound very efficient to me.

The problem is that cursor bitmaps are very limited, both in colors, and
(I believe) in size. I've just been playing with KDE, and kfm uses a
shaped window for dragging, instead of a cursor, and the effect seems
worthwhile.

We shouldn't bloat Gtk, but if Gtk is to be generally useful, it also
needs to adequitely support commonly needed features.