[gtk-list] Re: GTK internationalization, right-to-left languages

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Nimrod Zimerman wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 1998 at 07:06:04PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > If you are really interested in creating your own font from scratch...
> > I think there is probably is an editor for bitmap X fonts around.
> > Though I don't have a reference.
>
> Once upon a time I looked for such utilities, but came up empty handed. If I
> try to design a font myself, it would be a great failure - but I did believe
> I could find better looking fonts and somehow incorporate them into X.
> The current Hebrew fonts used in X (primarily in Netscape, I would guess)
> are of a very low quality. They are pretty ugly, even. I hope gtk could do
> better.

There is a bitmap font editor, quite ugly, called xmbdfed.  There's even
an RPM for it.

As far as I know, there is no outline (Type 1 or TTF) font editor for
Linux, free or commercial.  I am currently designing one using GNOME/GTK+
(GPL License), but it's not even in pre-alpha stage yet.

-Gleef