Re: [gtk-list] gtk_clist bug?

Hi Gert!

On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 07:21:58PM +0200, Gert wrote:

> I have a gtk_hpaned, with in the right pane, a gtk_scrolled_window
> containg a 3 columned gtk_clist.
> The scrolled window has the policy (NEVER, AUTOMATIC).
> The gtk_clist has 3 columns:
>  o A fixed one
>  o A variable sized one
>  o A fixed one
>
> Well, that's how I want it. The middle column should be the one resized
> when the gtk_clist is resized, so that column 0 and 2 remain their size.
> But, when I resize the list (by dragging the pane-handle) the most right
> column is resized, the same if the contents of the list het bigger then
> list can show, and the vertical scrollbar appears.
[...]
> Frankly, I don't understand it, so I think it's a gtk_clist bug ...

Well, it's not a bug actually. It's a behavior, which result from
the lack of a resize policy. gtk_clist_set_column_resizeable was only
meant to enable/disable user resize operations by mouse.
You are still allowed to call gtk_clist_set_column_width for a column
which was disabled for column resize operations before.
If the clist window is wider than the sum of all column widths, the
last column gets resized in any case, because clist don't know which
column should get expanded in that case. There are no expand flags
for columns similar to gtk_box_pack_start (box,child,expand,fill,padding);
                                                     ^^^^^^
Maybe we should add such a functionallity, but at the moment you
should connect to the size_allocate signal and resize the columns
in the way you want it to manually.

bye,
  Lars