Re: [gtk-list] Re: I want to understand

Jonathan Mark Brooks wrote:

> > 5) Just about any system has a decent C compiler ... the story is not quite
> > so simple for C++ where different compilers may implement a different

  Personally I would rather program in C++ but considering the
"C-ness" of most things out there I usually opt for doing the
implementation in plain C. Yes, there are several C++ wrappers
but it isn't quite the same thing, there is no 'joint' effort
and less guarantees that it will not be discontinued at some
point while the main C code line still lives. These are of
course commercial decisions as well.

Then the other is that all/most systems do have a C compiler
but not all have a C++ compiler available because it costs
a lot more.

> I'm just glad that we have an alternative to Motif.  Oh yeah,
> 7) WE NEED A GUI/RAD LIBRARY THAT WE DON'T HAVE TO LICENSE AT $150
> A POP!

 Same here! did some Motif in the past and it was a nightmare,
not to mention that it wasn't freely available on Linux which was
more accesible to me as a developer. Also, if one gets tired of
spending lots of free time, girlfriend-time and weekends
developing things for free, and then decide to do a bit of
almost-commercial product on the side to subsidize your own
free-software development then it is also great one doesn't have
to shell out library royalties. I loved XForms but I stopped
developing with it because of the price tag on commercial
software:)

		Cheers,
			Emilio
--
D. Emilio Grimaldo Tunon       Compuware Europe B.V. (Uniface Lab)
Software Engineer	       Amsterdam, The Netherlands