Re: Scrollable menus, selection in Clist, size of windows, etc...

Hi Paul,

  thanks for taking the time in answering my post.
I want to comment some things, specially some stuff on how GTK is
structured.

Paul Barton-Davis writes:
> >2) When doing a college project I needed to make a Clist and get the
> >row which the user selected... the only function which I thought would
>
> you connect a handler to the "select" signal. it will tell you the row
> (and column, IIRC).

  Ok, I understand, and on some applications this is ok, and
desirable, put sometimes you don't want to have the trouble in
managing a linked list to see which rows were clicked, in what order,
which column, etc. I might just want to grab the whole list at a
time... and since GTK has this already in it's structure why not have
a nice function that returns all the selected rows' indexs in a GList
or something.... (just return clist->selection, or maybe a
copy...)

> >3) Also in this project I needed to get a window's dimension.. Easy I
>
> GtkWidget widget;
> gint16 width, height;
>
> gdk_window_get_size (widget->window, &width, &height);
>
> Note the d in "gdk".

 Hum... Ok, this works fine now. Thanks!
May I also suggest that this is kind of bad for developers...?  Isn't
GTK suppose to be a kind of "front-end" to GDK? So in my humblest
opinion, it's much more developer friendly to have almost everything a
developer might want/need in GTK (specially basic functions like this
one), without having to know GDK. Only if the developers want to
implement something new, or do some special and specific signal
handling, they should know GDK.

I suggest that GtkWindow API should have a wrapper for
`gdk_window_get_size()`, called `gtk_window_get_size()'. Might even
make it a macro for efficiency issues. I know it'll be a redudancy,
but I think it's much more "developer-friendly".

  Well just 2 cents (as they say). Just trying to help GTK get
better/easier for developers...

  best regards,

--
  Livio <livio linux ime usp br>