Re: GtkComboBox insanely slow on large models (GTK 2.22)

hi lothar,

i'm not familiar with the details of your app, but i wonder if looking at this from the user's perspective might lead you to a way out.

first, does your model assume a single list of items?  or are there several levels of hierarchy involved?

because when it's a single list:
if, as a user, i am confronted with a combo box with 10K+ items, how am i expected to use it in a way that translates to user-friendliness?  like i said, don't know your app, but a combo box with thousands of items a user is expected to select a single entry from seems, well, a little crazy.  i would definitely look to breaking this up into as many levels of hierarchy as possible to make the user not go insane.  (on the other hand, this doesn't necessarily solve your problem...)

when, on the other hand, your model translates to combo-box lists that define several levels of hierarchy (resulting ultimately in a selection list presented to the user that is a reasonable length), then you might want to think about how to tackle the problem as part of the design.

for example:
my app constructs combo-box lists, some quite large, so when the user dis-connects and re-connects from/to different databases, many, many data models and combo-boxes must be destroyed and recreated.  for me, this translates to less than a minute of time in my worst-case scenario.  and so i've decided to live with this since DB switching does not iccur very frequently.

that doesn't mean a different, better solution doesn't exist, i just don't know of it.

richard