Where to place init code (in which event handler) needing custom widget's window mapped?

Hello,
I need to execute various initialization code in a derived widget; That code need to be executed only one time but it also need that widget's window is mapped since i need to perform few operation (xine related stuff) on that window (GDK object).

Could someone please tell me where is the best place to put that code?

Is there any available documentation that could help me to have a better idea of when and why events are fired in a typical widget's life (for example: relation between widget's state and events ) ? It's rather difficult to find out in which circumstances events are fired for a beginner; Studying xlib (and gtk) helped me but it remains obscure to me.

Thx a lot for your help.
Have a nice day  (hum... It's night for me)  :-)

DAve