RE: A GNOME Bindings release set?

> > I wrote:
> >> But it's this bit below that worries me most. Which of you
> are likely
> >> to have your
> >> GTK+ 2.4 bindings ready and API frozen by March 22nd 2003 and
> >> no later?
>
> gtk2-perl currently plans to have 2.4.0 bindings ready as soon as we
> get our hands on a 2.4.0 tarball; we have experimental support for
> 2.3.0 already.  i am talking to the other developers about whether we
> think we can have things ready by this date.

Excellent.

> a practical problem: many particular APIs don't make sense until you
> see code that uses them, so you can figure out how they should be
> bound.  is there sufficient example code for all of the core
> libraries,
> especially the brand new bits in cvs?  where should we look?

Some of the very new stuff is only in the tests. The UIManager stuff is in
the demos. Epiphany is using almost all the new API. Do ask on gtk-list if
you need help.

> we do not currently have bindings for all of the core
> libraries, but we
> do have a significant portion of them bound.  what subsets would be
> omittable, and all that sort of thing?

I am happy for any subset, as long as that subset follows the rules.

More practically, I think any binding should wrap libraries in this order of
priority:
GTK+
Libglade (it's silly to use GTK+ without libglade)
GConf
gnome-vfs
libgnomeui (Getting smaller all the time)
libbonobo and libbonoboui (involves CORBA)

>  it would be nice to have at
> least the base of gtk2-perl get the wide distribution of
> being part of
> gnome, so that we'll have a larger user base for testing and
> recruiting, in order to pull more complete stuff together by 2.8.0.

Yes. It's good to have something to aim for, and some way to identify what
you have so far.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net