RE: A GNOME Bindings release set?

> > I can't speak for other binding authors, but gnome-python can build
> > when
> > only the Gnome development platform libraries are installed
> (things like
> > the gnome-print bindings are only built if gnome-print is
> present), so
> > they don't add any hard dependencies to the build.  I wouldn't be
> > surprised if other bindings are similar.
>
> This is how Gtk# does it.  We currently have conditional
> builds for gnome (which consists of
> lib(gnome|gnomecanvas|gnomeui)), gnomeprint(ui), gda,
> gnomedb, librsvg, and gst.

I don't I can give in on this point, if I'm going to be the one managing
this release set. I don't want to give a confusing or misleading message
about the packages on our release set list - It's just too easy to imagine
the slashdot/gnomedesktop/mailinglist comments from people who think we are
lying about our API/ABI promises. People understand API/ABI stability issues
hardly at all anyway, and this wouldn't help at all.

I really hope that at least Python or C# will come on board. I don't see any
major disadvantage to splitting the non-gnome-platform stuff into a separate
package, particularly as this will happen for a new major release (GTK+
2.3/2.4 and GNOME 2.5/2.6).

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net