Re: Gee [Vala] [Lib] LinkedList does not increase stamp

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 12:08 +0200, Quikee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Uh, this is a quite old mail you dig up. :)

Hmm. You are right. For some reason it came near top of the ML in
evolution. And I've mixed a bit with "Gee LinkedList Problem : Memory
allocation fails when list size > 1000000" (they were placed next to
each other)

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 03:32, Maciej Marcin Piechotka
> <uzytkownik2 gmail com> wrote:
> > There was well-motivated bug report that asked about signals being added
> > (to allow use GObject goodies IIRC). That would cover also this case at
> > least to some extend.
> >
> > I cannot find it right now - I think it might be deleted during last
> > bugzilla crash.
> >
> > I haven't implemented it yet which seems ironic as it is one of few
> > features not blocked by lack of vala features (currently - mostly
> > unreviewed/unapplied patches - I'm trying to regularly nag to get the
> > reviewed)
>
> The problem with signals is that you need GLib mainloop for them to
> work IMHO you don't always have so an alternative way that allows you
> to do something in a certain event should also be provided (for
> example implemented via callbacks).

Requirement of GLib mainloop is not a problem for me. Vala GObject and
libgee AFAIK targets the 'normal desktop' and gtk+ application.

> Another problem I guess is also that in a lot of cases you do a lot of
> additions or changes in a short period of time. I guess in this case I
> just don't want any signals to be triggered as it might severely slow
> down the sistem (signal handling is not cheap).

Hmm. Currently I think signal is the most idiomatic way of handling
them. Maybe there should be something like:

[Sync]
public signal void my_signal(...);

The GObject signals have however benefit of integration gtk.

The text from the bug report (I BCC'ed the author):

"""In an attempt to make gee more useful as a model in MVC patterns it
would need
to have a number of signals added to the interfaces.

Of the top of my head at least:

Collection:
    "added"
    "removed"
        - both with a Iterator<G> parameter.

List:
    "sorted"

map should also take added/removed however IMO it would be better done
through
http://live.gnome.org/Libgee/NewMapInterfaceProposal""";

(the integration with gtk+ was with e-mail but I'm not sure).

Regards