Re: GNOME 2.20 release notes

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 07:50 +0300, Quim Gil wrote:
> The release team has announced feature freeze for GNOME 2.19 and the
> roadmapping team has got a nice http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap in
> place. In theory most of the content of the GNOME 2.20 release notes
> could be written now.
>
> [After looking at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/MarketingTeam ]
> Ken, Lucas, can you coordinate the production of these release notes?
>
> I have made too long proposals in the past.For this release I have
> just one and simple proposal: make the release notes in a single page
> with clear texts and lots of illustrations, linking the relevant
> features to wherever there is additional information out of the releae
> notes (i.e. news in the projects websites or in newsd.gnome.org ). NOT
> repeating the same SVN structure of previous releases.

I also want to try putting everything on one page, but I still plan to
use the docbook translation system. We have no other way to do
translation at the moment, and it does work well.

> Less work writing, formatting, fighting with the SVN and DocBook,
> translating, reviewing in exchange of possibly more efficiency and
> customer (*)  satisfaction.
>
> (*) Taking in account these customers:
>
> Application developers
> Platform developers
> Software integrators and distributors
> Key software deployers (i.e. public administrations)
> Software & Freedom enthusiasts
> Tech press
> End users at large: not a target

Jorge has already started this. Here's an email that I sent to some of
the release-team team a couple of days ago, as context:

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 09:30 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 01:12 +0200, Luis Menina wrote:
> > Hi Murray,
> >
> > I have talked a bit with Vincent Untz and Lucas Rocha at GUADEC and
they
> > told me contact you if I wanted to help in writing the release
notes.
> > Have you got some information on where to start, who is currently
> > involved in this, and when this should be started ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Hi. Here is the release notes schedule:
> http://live.gnome.org/ReleaseNotes
>
> We start that on August 6th, or slightly before:
> http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointNineteen/
> Lucas Rocha says that he will review the RoadMap soon, which will also
> give us some information about what's been achieved for 2.20.
>
> Corey Burger and Jorge Castro will also be helping:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2007-July/msg00011.html
>
> If you like, you (all) could start looking at NEWS files and putting
the
> user-visible stuff here:
> http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointNineteen/ReleaseNotes

Jorge has started a draft of the main text here:
http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointNineteen/ReleaseNotes/Draft
That will later be moved to DocBook XML here:
http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnomeweb-wml/trunk/www.gnome.org/start/2.20/

Jorge, please note that I plan for us to use the Users, Developers,
Administrators structure that we had in 2.14 here:
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/en/
You seem to be doing almost that already in your draft.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com