Re: Friends of GNOME campaign

On Tue, November 13, 2012 6:42 pm, Juanjo Marín wrote:

>>________________________________

Thanks for suggesting this, and you're quite right to get us moving on a
campaign!

> Hi Oliver,
>

> My main concern about your proposal is that I think that a list of
> features is not very consistent for a FoG campaign without a clear
> message. Taking into account that Web is not a very popular application by
> now, most people don't care. Don't get me wrong, I support Web, but a list
> of concrete technical features of an application not very popular by now
> doesn't attract too many people for a donation IMHO.
>

> I think that what we need to make a FoG campaign for WebKit2GTK+ is a
> super feature that makes the difference for GNOME, even better if you can
> use in several parts of the desktop. Maybe Tobias Mueller idea of Privacy
> and Security can be this super feature.

I think Juanjo has a point. The a11y campaign was not only successful
financially but also in raising awareness for an important issue. While
this isn't a requirement for a campaign, we should think a way to best
couch whatever we choose to do. Perhaps we could do that for the Web too.

Part of the reason that Privacy/Security came up was because of some of
the ideological discussion we had at GUADEC. So this is a more natural
fit. However, if there's no one to drive that campaign it may be better to
do something else this time.

Whichever campaign we do, we should make a decision quickly so we can
launch before the holiday season.

Should we have a meeting to discuss this? Perhaps next week? I could even
set up a conference line so we can hear each other :)

karen