Re: [Nautilus-list] medusa - resource hog?

If you are running medusa using daily builds or cvs, there was a problem
about a week ago in gnome-vfs that was causing it to take up much more
memory than usual.  Updating your gnome-vfs and medusa should fix this
problem.

Will grab latest build. This problem didn't occur until I grabbed the latest snapshot rpm's several days ago. Or at least the problem wasn't so severe.

If this is not the case, I'm sorry to hear that medusa is
causing problems for you.  It would be really helpful if we could find
out a little about your machines (disk size, amount of disk used, amount
of memory, etc), and perhaps we can diagnose the problem more
thoroughly.

AMD Athlon 300mhz (i586), running RedHat 6.0 (w/updates), kernel 2.2.5-15. 64 MB memory, ~100 MB swap. 'df -k' =
/dev/hda2               199079     69777    119021  37% /
/dev/hda3               965833    872789     43148  95% /usr
/dev/hdb1              2974519   1622528   1198171  58% /usr3
/dev/hdb2              5228824   2568746   2389383  52% /usr2

Medusa does use a lot of resources, but it is doing a large
job.  I haven't, however, with the exception of the bug listed above,
seen it use up all of the memory on the machine, so if this is happening
normally, we definitely want to address it.

I understand medusa's job and resource needs. As I noted above, I doubt this problem will occur with the latest build. But perhaps a redesign of medusa (e.g. incremental indexing, indexing-on-the-fly) should be considered (well after the initial release, of course).
Thanks, Rebecca!

Thanks,
Rebecca