[Nautilus-list] gnome-mime list API -- needed?

I'm starting to follow the plan to move the MIME-handling functionality out
of gnome-libs and into gnome-vfs. (The plan is in the attached document, if
you need refreshing.) I'm on step 1 "Copy the gnome-mime code to gnome-vfs".

I started with the gnome-libs branch that Nautilus is using --
gnome-libs-1-0. Then I realized I should check against HEAD to see if bug
fixes and such have crept into the MIME-handling code in the meantime. I
found that there are several new API calls relating to getting lists of mime
types for individual files, such as gnome-mime-type-list () and
gnome-mime-type-list-or-default ().

I need to decide whether to move these new calls into gnome-vfs, but I can't
decide without understanding their purpose. Does any code use them now? Are
they intended for GMC (in which case gnome-vfs probably doesn't need them)
or for some other code?

Dan Hensley is listed as the author, but the cvs checkin comments don't give
an email address for him. I can't find a ChangeLog entry for these API
additions. I found Dan's email address using google.com; I hope it's still
current.

Remember that eventually the proposal includes obsoleting and removing the
MIME functionality from gnome-libs, so it's important that we preserve in
the new gnome-vfs MIME code all of the gnome-libs MIME code that's still
needed. So, do we need this new API? And if so, why?

John