Re: [Nautilus-list] command suggestion: "start"

Dan Nicolaescu <dann godzilla ICS UCI EDU> writes:

> Hi!
>
> There is one feature that I think it would be nice for Nautilus to
> provide:
>
> a command line command (let's call it start) that would do the
> equivalent of double-clicking on an icon in the file manager.  For
> example:
>
> start FILE.ps
>
> would run gv FILE.ps
>
> or
>
> start FILE.pdf
>
> would run xpdf FILE.pdf

Well, clicking on the icon would normally run the component, not the
apps.

> or
>
> start DIRNAME
>
> would open a Nautilus window for that directory.
>
> This way from the command line you'd never have to remember all the
> commands to open any file... and this feature it's probably very easy
> to implement...

Actually, it sort of already works - I think

% nautilus some://uri/here

Will cause the running nautilus to spawn an extra window on the
specified URI. It will probably not fall back to using an app instead
of a component if there is no component though.

 - Maciej