[Nautilus-list] Nautilus Issues

Today, I decided to try Nautilus from another angle :)

I removed my '/gnome' set-up and decided to try to start using RPMs for as many
things as I can (unfortunately, I can't use entirely RPMs due to oaf and gconf
not having spec files)

Anyway - nautilus certainly is shaping up :) Some issues that I thought
I should bring up though :) I could have come up with patches - but since
I'm writing this offline I can not do a 'cvs diff'. They are pretty simple
issues :)

1) in Makfile.am (the toplevel nautilus directory) 'idl' is not in the 'SUBDIRS'
even though it should be (should be there, otherwise it could potentially
break things such as 'make dist' (it doesn't though)). I do get a warning
though after I do a 'make dist' and then ./configure (it can not create
./idl/Makefile). The idl files are also not installed due to no Makefile.

2) in the 'idl' directory - gnome-desktop.idl is not included in the
Makefile.am - should it?

3) The current .spec.in file is /VERY/ outdated. It doesn't allow you to even
create RPMS :) I have enclosed a more 'accurate' .spec and .spec.in file.
Could someone update CVS with this? It creates RPMs correctly (at least on my
system). Oh another thing - I have debug enabled and commented out the
stripping stuff. This should be taken out (or better yet, kept 'as is' until
your 1.0 release - for better quality bug reports). The .spec.in file before
was also a bit inaccurate in some stuff so I fixed it out (it left some files
installed and wasn't correct for i18n stuff, according to the million other
GNOME .spec files I've seen)

4) Apparently --enable-debug=yes does not set the '-g' in the Makefile CFLAGS
so now there is no real debugging info for gdb :( This means my below bug
report is probably not very useful :(

5) On startup - I get a couple of errors :)

 a) Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 715 (gtk_container_add):
      assertion `widget->parent == NULL' failed.
 b) ** WARNING **: Unable to find handler for file: /home/aliabdin/tutorial.xcf

6) I right-click on a file and then go to emblems - Sometimes when I click on
a checkbox it 'locks up' nautilus solidly. How to repeat: load up nautilus and
keep randomly clicking on the emblems. It is not easy to repeat though (although if I just keep emblem clicking it will eventually happen). I /think/ that it might be related to how fast I click (some sort of race?)

5) When I use choose Customize, choose emblems, and then try to drag it onto
an icon a segfault - here are the error messages and necessary debug info:

This is the message I get before the segfault
** ERROR **: file nautilus-icon-dnd.c: line 1119 (drag_drop_callback): assertion failed: (dnd_info->got_data_type)
aborting...

This is what I get from a 'limited' backtrace:
#5  0x406ad04d in drag_drop_callback ()
   from /usr/lib/libnautilus-extensions.so.0

The rest is all really detailed gtk debugging info and stuff and I don't want to spam the mailing list. Sorry I couldn't debug it further.

Anyway - this my testing for the day - Looks very nice and is quickly shaping
into a quality production (woo - I love dragging/setting the backgrounds stuff)

Keep up the good work :)

# Note this is NOT a relocatable thing :)
%define name		nautilus
%define ver		@VERSION@
%define RELEASE		prw2
%define rel		%{?CUSTOM_RELEASE} %{!?CUSTOM_RELEASE:%RELEASE}
%define prefix		/usr
%define sysconfdir	/etc

Name:		%name
Summary:	Nautilus is an open-source file manager and graphical shell.
Version: 	%ver
Release: 	%rel
Copyright: 	GPL
Group:		System Environment/Libraries
Source: 	%{name}-%{ver}.tar.gz
BuildRoot:	/var/tmp/%{name}-%{ver}-root
Docdir: 	%{prefix}/doc
Requires:	gnome-libs
Requires:	gnome-vfs
Requires:	gtkhtml
Requires:	gdk-pixbuf
Requires:	bonobo
Requires:	eog

%description
Nautilus is an open-source file manager and graphical shell being
developed by Eazel, Inc. and others. It is part of the GNOME project, and its
source code can be found in the GNOME CVS repository. Nautilus is still in
the early stages of development. It will become an integral part of the
GNOME desktop environment when it is finished.

%package devel
Summary:	Libraries and include files for developing nautilus components
Group:		Development/Libraries
Requires:	%name = %{PACKAGE_VERSION}
Obsoletes:	%{name}-devel

%description devel
This package provides the necessary development libraries and include
files to allow you to develop nautilus components.

%changelog
* Wed Apr 26 2000 Ramiro Estrugo <ramiro eazel com>
- created this thing

%prep
%setup

%build
%ifarch alpha
  MYARCH_FLAGS="--host=alpha-redhat-linux"
%endif

LC_ALL=""
LINGUAS=""
LANG=""
export LC_ALL LINGUAS LANG

CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" ./configure $MYARCH_FLAGS --prefix=%{prefix} \
	--enable-eazel-services \
	--sysconfdir=%{sysconfdir} \
	--enable-debug=yes

if [ "$SMP" != "" ]; then
  (make "MAKE=make -k -j $SMP"; exit 0)
  make
else
  make
fi

%install
[ -n "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" -a "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" != / ] && rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

make prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{prefix} sysconfdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{sysconfdir} install

#for FILE in "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/bin/*"; do
#	file "$FILE" | grep -q not\ stripped && strip $FILE
#done

%clean
[ -n "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" -a "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" != / ] && rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%post
if ! grep %{prefix}/lib /etc/ld.so.conf > /dev/null ; then
  echo "%{prefix}/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
fi

/sbin/ldconfig

%postun -p /sbin/ldconfig

%files
#%defattr(0555, bin, bin)
#%dir %{prefix}/share/gnome/nautilus

%doc AUTHORS COPYING COPYING.LIB ChangeLog NEWS README
%{prefix}/bin/*
%{prefix}/lib/lib*.so.*
%{prefix}/share/pixmaps/*
%{prefix}/share/ntl-web-search/*
%{prefix}/share/nautilus/*
%{prefix}/share/gnome/apps/*
%{prefix}/share/hyperbola/*
%{prefix}/share/oaf/*

#%defattr(0644, bin, bin)
#%{prefix}/share/gnome/nautilus/docs/*

%defattr (0444, bin, bin)
%{prefix}/share/locale/*/*/*
#%{prefix}/share/data/nautilus.keys
#%{sysconfdir}/CORBA/servers/*
%{sysconfdir}/vfs/modules/*

%files devel

%defattr(0555, bin, bin)
#%dir %{prefix}/include/libnautilus
#%{prefix}/lib/*.a
%{prefix}/lib/*.so
%{prefix}/lib/*.la

%defattr(0444, bin, bin)
#%{prefix}/lib/*Conf.sh
#%{prefix}/include/nautilus/*
#%{prefix}/share/idl/*.idl
%{prefix}/include/*
#%{prefix}/include/libnautilus/*
#%{prefix}/include/libnautilus-extensions/*
#%{prefix}/include/librsvg/*
#%{prefix}/include/nautilus-widgets/*