Re: [Nautilus-list] selection

Hi Mathieu,

What you are describing is very much on purpose. The third state, what you
are calling "highlighted", is what is often called "prelighting". The idea
is that active areas of the screen light up in a subtle way as you move the
cursor over them, to indicate that they are active and that clicking will do
something. It is a lightweight, transient sort of feedback. Real selection,
such as you get with dragging a box around icons (or shift-clicking them, or
just clicking them when the double-click-to-activate preference is set), is
a more stable state that does not change based on mouse location.

Many widgets behave this same way. For instance, GtkCheckButtons light up
when you're moving over them, but are not "selected" until you click.

John