Re: [Nautilus-list] Status...

Calum Benson <calum benson sun com> writes:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
> > I think we plan not to do that. Think of every time you've screwed
> > yourself with rm and be grateful for the extra step required to empty
> > the trash.
>
> On the other hand, the main potential for "rm" disaster stems from its
> lack of an Undo feature...

That's true. I was imagining a Delete feature as just like rm,
i.e. not undoable. If it were undoable, it would be sort of like
putting the item in the trash only invisible, which seems rather
confusing UI-wise. In particular, there'd be no way to ensrue the item
is permanently gone, if you can always Undo a Delete.

> Having said that, I tend to use the "trash" rather than "shred" options
> in apps that give me the choice, too, but there are certainly occasions
> when it's handy to bypass that step.

It might be, but I think it's good to insert a little friction in the
way of dangerous operations. The Trash approach is definitely better
than having a confirmation dialog each time you try to delete.

 - Maciej