[Nautilus-list] thumbnails PR2

Installed a quick Red Hat 6.2 with GNOME workstation and didn't even put in
helix gnome and it worked.  This is on a Pentium Pro 200 with 128MB.  I don't
think it's all that slow nor a memory hog.

First like to commend eazel (few left nowadays) which actually lets you
configure your own search page and allows you to opt out of using the default
bookmarks.  Stuff like that is unheard of in this day and age.

--Forget history...I know this has been discussed before and evolution uses
forget to but 'clear history' is more englishy me thinks.

In speed trade offs section:
--Anti-alias [use smoother (but slower) graphics option is awesome...worth the
tiny bit of speed reduction.

--Show thumbnails
this is great and dandy ..but OH SO SLOW...I believe it creates a default size
..perhaps two...say 150x150 (no idea though) then depending on the zoom level
decrease the size...so at 400 it looks pixelly...which is totally ok.  But the
problem with the speed I think is because it generates two images for that
javascript rollover effect-type when you rollover the thumbnail it'll highlight
the image. This is done by generating two thumbnails for each image.

Sure it looks good but other photo thumbnail apps for linux go almost 4 or 5
times as fast .. ee, chbg, and others.

Also perhaps those dinky thumbnails in the tree (sidebar) and the Go history. So
please allow another option in speed tradeoffs called something like:

Show rollover thumbnails
Always | Local | Never

Show dinky thumbnails in tree and menubar
Always | Local | Never

I'm not so sure the dinky ones are slowing it down as much as the duplicate
thumbnails are so it may or may not be a factor.

Use it for about an hour or so and had zero crashes.

Don't wanna signup just yet for the services but can anyone briefly list what
other stuff it has besides the software catalog and webstorage?

Eazel partnering with linuxcare and loudcloud seems like a good move.

 adam http://www.kaikun.org 4,000+ photos
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ