Re: [Nautilus-list] cut/copy/paste

Ali Abdin wrote:

> * Jon Allen (joncallen hotmail com) wrote at 12:54 on 10/11/00:
>
>> Ben Ford wrote:
>>
>>> Why not add a container to the panel on the left (sorry don't know >what >>> it's called) where files would go while in limbo. You could >either drag >>> files to the container or right-click -> cut/copy. This >would allow a
>>> multidimensional cut+paste history, it wouldn't have to >be linear.
>>> Perhaps the default when you did a right-click -> cut, >right-click ->
>>> paste would be linear, but you could also open the >clipboard component and
>>> drag files/text fragments/images/etc out of
>>> it.
>>
>> A good example of similar functionality is in M$office2k - Word has a
>> 'Clipboard' toolbar, which accepts multiple cuts/copies/etc, which you can
>> then choose to paste from.  This can be very useful.
>

> I think the Eazel folks expressed their dislike for the "clipboard" style of
> cutting/copying/pasting files.
>
> What would be better though is if we have a 'File SideBar' which is just a > place where you can "move" or "copy' files into (temporarily), and which you > can then move them out of (you could also have keyboard bindings (Move to File > SideBar, Copy to File SideBar, Move from File SideBar, (and maybe even Copy From
> File SideBar).

I'd like that a lot. Could be very handy for organising a large collection of files. This is an example of something I do often:

I have a folder called "Incoming" on my disk where I download programs and documents. Every now and again I decide to clean it up, so I go through it and delete everything which is not what I was after, then move the rest of the files into the correct directory (i.e. Win32/Programming, Linux/Internet, Documents/Specs/XSLT) by dragging and dropping. If I had a File Sidebar I could move all of the files I wanted to keep onto it, then go through each of my folders one by one, moving into it relevant files from the sidebar.

Ross

--

Ross Burton Software Engineer
OneEighty Software Ltd Tel: +44 20 8263 2332

Under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers (RIP) Act 2000 together
with any and all Regulations in force pursuant to the Act OneEighty
Software Ltd reserves the right to monitor any or all incoming or
outgoing communications as provided for under the Act