Re: [Nautilus-list] Article that's not all into the hype.....

on 11/10/00 7:07 AM, Mattias Eriksson at snaggen acc umu se wrote:

> I thought I got the link from this list, but I guess I was wrong.
> If you read this article and ignore the negative attitude you might find
> this article interesting, it mentions some problem that it might be worth
> looking at. And again remember to ignore the negative attitude (or do as I
> do and be amused of it)
>
> http://www.pablotron.org/reviews/nautilus-PR2/
>
> I think it's nice to read a negative article for once... ;)
>
> //Snaggen

I sent the following message to the author of that review (he asked for
people to tell him what they thought):

===

I enjoyed reading your humorously negative review of Nautilus. Many
reviewers lean towards describing all the good points and ignoring the bad
ones. Yours is a welcome counterbalance.

I hope that the ability to turn off the text labels is indeed Nautilus's
worst problem. FYI, Nautilus uses the component framework named Bonobo for
its tool bar. Bonobo is also still in pre-release, and recently introduced a
bug where the GNOME-wide preference for labels in tool bars is not
respected. I am sure this will be fixed in Bonobo before Nautilus 1.0 is
released. (For now, you are free to turn off the whole tool bar if looking
at the labels really hurts that much.)

We intend to address many of the other points you brought up in your review
before we finish the first version of Nautilus. For example, we are well
aware the performance and memory use is currently poor, and we intend to
improve Nautilus in both areas dramatically. Also, we are aware that the
current arrangement of preferences, especially appearance-related ones, is
confusing. We have an improved design on our list of remaining work.

Keep up the criticism. Feedback is essential to the development of any user
interface.

John Sullivan